Jewishupdates's Blog

December 20, 2009

Amherst, NY: Menorah Fire In Home; No Working Smoke Detectors

Filed under: Uncategorized — jewishupdates @ 12:21 am

Amherst, NY: Menorah Fire In Home; No Working Smoke Detectors

The last night of Chanukah turned tragic for an Amherst family Friday night when their menorah candles set off a fire that spread through much of their home, causing $160,000 in damage and killing a family cat, officials said today.

The residents of 143 Delta Road in the Eggertsville section of town were not injured by the fire, but one of their two cats died in the blaze.

Firefighters said they were called to the Delta Road home at about 10:35 p.m.

A dresser in a bedroom had caught fire from a menorah candle, police said. Residents attempted to extinguish the blaze, but were unable to. When firefighters arrived – about three minutes after being called – the fire had spread from the bedroom to the attic, and into another bedroom and bathroom, according to Amherst fire officials. The remainder of the one-story brick ranch sustained smoke and water damage.

The house sustained about $100,000 in damage, while damage to the contents was estimated at $60,000.

Fire officials said there were smoke detectors in the home, but that they were not working.

(Source: Buffalo News)

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

%d bloggers like this: